...in Texas! I know it sounds weird, but there it was.
The house we lived in prior to the loft was located in a subdivision that had one street. You drove in, drove around the circle and drove out. It was a horse community and most of the owners had horses in their pastures or in nearby stables. The minimum lot was 1.5 acres. We had a minimum lot.
While I loved the house, I disliked the HOA because all they did was bicker and fight over the top plates on the fences. They let one, and I do mean ONE, person divide the neighborhood so that most of the people in the neighborhood would not speak to each other. Too much politics for me, so we mostly kept to ourselves and associated with our friends outside of the neighborhood.
The house was a short sale and had been abused by the previous owners. The house had an in-ground pool and we purchased it without ever laying eyes on the pool because it had been covered and the bank would not uncover it for us to look at. Did I mention it was a short sale?! We envisioned the black hole of death with creatures crawling through the oozy muck underneath the wood beams that were a part of the cover. The creatures were dead by the time we got around to uncovering the pool.
We did not know if it was usable or if it had lifted out of the ground, which is pretty common in Texas. We decided that if it was not usable, we would fill it in and have a nice garden area. Hey, we had to water the foundation anyway, what's one more something to water! But as you can see in the photos above, Miss Thang approved the pool facilities, so we were good to go!
When we saw the house the first time, there was a dead bird in the living room fireplace and 12 bazillion bugs covering the floors...I kid you not! The next time we went back, I wore a gas mask, gloves that ended at my neck and steel toe boots! The dead bird was in the yard and most of the bugs had been swept away.
I thought the hubster was nutso for even wanting to tackle this house, but I finally gave in to his request and purchased a hazmat suit. I needed to make sure I was protected from West Nile Virus, Pig Flu, Bird Flu, tick bite and chicken pox.
Everything in this house had to be painted, replaced, repaired, or removed. Four rooms of flooring had to be installed/replaced. The master didn't even have flooring, just tile back hardy board something or another. Wiring vomited out of most of the walls.
Drywall had to be replaced in the kitchen, living room and laundry room. There were holes in the walls and ceiling in the kitchen from poor DIY ventures that had to be removed and the holes in the laundry room walls were from little doggies trying to dig their way out...they must have been locked in there for quite some time.
We tried to work in the foot print and didn't want to "gut" anything if it wasn't necessary. Most of the house had been painted some shade of brown, even the ceilings. I know I've told you before that I like light, bright and airy. This house was so light and bright after all the new paint, it was hard to get photos that weren't totally blown out. :-)
We completed all of the work in 3 short months. It was labor-intensive, nasty, repulsive, and vomitous (yes it is my word) work. I gagged many times over having to touch nasty bathrooms in this house. We had someone come in and clean all of the duct work. I won't even tell you how many rodent skeletons and carcasses were removed. We would not let the kids move into the house until all of the work was completed and we had a priest over to exorcise the demons away.
The house sold within 2 months when we were ready to move to our loft. More stories to come...