Winter....and a Touch of Spring

"Please stay off the roads and do not travel unless it is absolutely necessary."

What is it about those words that immediately make you want to run to the store to pick up supplies for a paint project you won't be able to start until the temperatures reach 50 degrees?  Which won't be until summer!  Or, that you need fresh flowers, NOW.  Or, that you need bacon, NOW.  Or, or, or...the list goes on.  I believe it is a subconscious rebellion that you experience when you are told you "can't" do something.  So what do you do?  You ask the hubby to take you to the store, that might be closed, in the 4-wheel drive, to make the purchases you really don't need.  The result - paint project supplies and canning materials for pickle making.  Who knows WHEN there will be adequate cucumbers for homemade pickles...but here you are, nonetheless, with most everything you will need to accomplish the two projects.

If you are lucky, you also end up with these...


Beautiful pink hydrangeas for $6.00 off the Valentine's discount table.  While they were a little sad, I revived them with some alum and added a little bit of spring to our home. I love the colors -- the pale pink flower with the bright shock of lemon yellow.

Having the lemons reminded me of a recipe I have for Warm Winter Lemon Cake.  It brings the two seasons together nicely...warmness for the chilly weather and tartness for a taste of spring.

 
Since I was in the kitchen baking this cake, I decided to carry the Fat Tuesday menu through today and prepare another New Orleans style dish - Cajun-Style Shrimp and Grits.


This dish is warm, smooth and spicy.  It can be served for lunch, dinner and even breakfast, if your are feeling a bit adventurous!  The Cajun-flavored shrimp and sausage blends nicely with the creamy grits.  Perfect for a cold winter's day.


What is it that you "just have to do" when you are forced to stay inside?




 

P.S.  The recipes in my blog can be found on my RECIPES page.

Shared on the link party at Average Inspired!

6 comments

  1. Love your blog! -Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! The cake was good and my hubby loved the Cajun Shrimp and Grits! Have a great day!

      Delete

Please leave a comment! I do love hearing from you and enjoy visiting your blogs. I will respond via email or by replying to your comment here on my blog! Have a wonderful day!